Hand in Hand


I think that it is very easy for many of us to take things for granite when we are so used to living in a certain way. When is the last time that you were thankful for having clean water, bees, or both hands? Not always things that we think of to be thankful for - but are vital to the way that we live our life.

This week's blog post is going to piggy back my last blog post about super powers because in a google alert this week, I got an article that was all about AT&T's new program - Hand in Hand. Hand in Hand helps to provide young children who were born without a hand, to gain a lightweight 3-D fabricated prosthetic hand that is designed just for them.

Everyone has a need for technology - print out papers, stay connected with friends and family, store documents or pictures, etc. I love my cell phone - I can talk to people, take pictures, and play games all on one device. I have many different educational apps that I like or use in my classroom. But sometimes I forget what other wonderful things technology can do. My husband's company recently bought a 3-D printer and a laser cutter - I have already used it to make different teaching aids for in my classroom. Reading this article, they are using the same 3-D printer to print out a prosthetic hand for a 9 year old!

One quote from Michelle Kavanaugh, the president of this project:

“This is a project that’s more than just learning technology, engineering design and science. More importantly, it’s about the human element: demonstrating leadership, producing a product with a team and doing good in the world.”

This quote really stuck out to me because it's not only about the wonders of technology but it is simply about helping people to have a better life. When asked what is the first thing you want to do with your new hand, the 9 year old replied - to ride a bike. Yet another thing that you or I may take for granite. We can go out and ride a bike whenever we would like but for this little girl her 9 year old dream is about to become true!

The article goes on to explain the project in more detail. The hands are designed just for the child receiving it. They make a cardboard hand to see how things work and how exactly they want it, then the student gets measured and picks out the color they want. Using files from e-NABLE they print out the hands.

One thing that makes me love this project is the fact that they use local middle and high school students to assist in the project. Local secondary students will do the measuring and designing as part of a class at their charter school. It is a very beneficial program to the students who can really see how what they do in class in benefiting someone outside of the classroom.


Article - http://www.amherstbee.com/news/2017-07-12/Lifestyles/Students_to_design_fabricate_prosthetic_hands_usin.html

Comments

  1. Megan,

    Thanks for blogging about such a neat and timely article. Just yesterday, my kids and I were visiting our local library. They just purchased a 3D printer and had it out for kids to use. My youngest two made bracelets. It was simple and cool. When we got home and showed my husband, he mentioned the auto parts are now being made with 3D printers and that even though the plastic cartridges are expensive for the printers, it is cheaper than other fabrication methods. Lastly, technology crosses language barriers and allows for a equal access, especially in places like public schools and libraries.

    Thanks again,
    Amy

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts